Note to moderator

Note to moderator:
My name is Godgift Emesi (9044) and for my A2 Coursework I am in group 3 with Monica Aghadiuno (9365), Angela Chen (9025) and Thakshana Yogeswaran (9179).
To see my work, please click on the 3 labels on the right named A2 Research and Planning, A2 Construction and A2 Evaluation, and ignore the rest as that is my classwork.

Group 3 - Music Video

Group 3 - Digipak

Group 3 - Digipak
Our Digipack, top left - back, top right - front, bottom left - inside panel, bottom right - inside panel (CD)
This is a link to our website, click the image above to enter our site

Saturday 24 October 2015

R+P Post 13: Influences and inspiration from art, fashion and culture

When thinking about what style I would like to go for when creating our album covers, I was inspired by the post-war art movement, abstract expressionism.

abstract expressionism- Kadinsky (1910)
example painting of 
abstract expressionism
example painting of 
abstract expressionism
This lead me to look at a modern form of this postwar movement, called graffiti art and how it has already been used in past album covers in order to create a synergistic theme across the 4 panels that albums have. 







For example, below, Ed Sheeran and Neon Jungle have used the graffiti art style as the concepts for their album covers. However this only stays true for their front panel and not their other panels.
Ed Sheeran "You need me EP" album
Neon Jungle "Louder" Album- they also focused
their font style on the urban nature of graffiti














Graffiti remains one of the four hip-hop elements that is not considered "performance art"despite the image of "the singing and dancing star" that sells hip hop culture to the mainstream. I thought this type of art would be good in portraying the dance genre of my artist, if my group was to create an artist based on dance music like I proposed I wanted to do earlier. 

The fashion of the romantic era (Romanticism), a movement in art, literature and music that valued freedom of expression where the ideal woman was seen as "an angel of the household"- virtuous, wholesome and genteel. This concept of "angel", which was replicated in the dressing back then is one which I envisioned a female artist wearing while singing one of my song choices, "W.A.Y.S" by Jhene Aiko, which  I mentioned earlier. This is because it would bring an ethereal feel to the song, similar to Avril Lavigne's "When you're gone"

Avril Lavigne- "When you're gone"









Street culture also influenced me, in reference to if my group was to decide to do a dance/pop song and artist. K-pop culture, has a strong street fashion look and so most of my influences on outfit styles came from K-pop groups such as "2NE1" and "Girls Generation".




No comments:

Post a Comment